Compton Community College District History
In 1927 the former Compton Community College was established as a component of the Compton Union High School District. In 1950, voters approved a bond measure separating the two, and the campus was constructed at the present site.
After many successful years, and following several challenging years, in June 2005, the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) announced its decision to revoke Compton College’s accreditation. With this action, the ability to offer classes and grant degrees and transferrable units was terminated.
January 31, 2005
On June 30, 2006, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed AB 318 (Dymally) into law, giving the Compton Community College District (CCCD) a $30 million loan for recovery and the opportunity to partner with a college in good standing with the ACCJC to offer accredited courses.
June 17, 2005
On August 21, 2006, the El Camino Community College District (ECCCD) Board of Trustees approved a Memorandum of Understanding between the El Camino Community College District and the Compton Community College District.
The CCCD is governed by a Special Trustee appointed by the Chancellor of the California Community Colleges for matters related to personnel, policy, budget and finance, and facilities. An interim Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is primarily responsible for operations of the CCCD such as budget, fiscal policy, and the administration of labor agreements, legal matters, bond management, facilities management and human resources.
El Camino College continues to provide accredited instructional and related support services to meet the needs of the CCCD area residents. Administration at El Camino College Compton Center is led by the Superintendent/President of El Camino College, Dr. Thomas M. Fallo. The Vice President, ECC Compton Center, Ms. Barbara Perez, oversees the daily operations of Compton Center.
For ACCJC and Compton College communications prior to August 2006, click here.